Sunday, August 26, 2012

Put Down the Smart Phone





Remember when pagers were still in use, pay phones were still on every corner too. Shortly after that car phones became the big thing, and then huge cell phones. One could go on and on about the amazing advances of technology in just the past 10 years alone.

Within the last few years’ modern technology has made radical advancements in all facets of life. From cardio grams to Skype, the way people do almost anything today is advanced by some technological screen.

However it isn’t all for the best, modern research conducted by Dr. Gary Small shows that the mind of young people is being rewired to obtain and store data differently into memory. The book “The Dumbest Generation” by Mark Bauerlein describes in detail, the horrid affects that technology has had on young minds. It is worth a read, especially if you are under the age of 30, although if you are under 30 I doubt you are reading this.

There are times that I tell my self, I am not sure what I would do with out my iPhone. It’s like a drug to me. It makes my life so much easier. But, has it really made my life easier, or has it made my life able to move faster. The more I try to organize my life with technology, the faster life feels. Before I know it I am so dependent upon technology, I feel anxiety when I am separated from it.

For most people the worst of technology and smartphones, comes at the ease of social networking. One day just look around you when you waiting for coffee, sitting on a bus or a train, or when your out with friends. Notice how often those around you are updating their status, or checking a tweet. I stopped using Facebook for a few months because I was spending far too much time on the site. I was upset with myself for how often I was posting garbage on the Internet. I was becoming so narcissistic, and I was engaging less in my organic relationships, yet immersing more in my digital ones.

For one day, try to not post from your cell phone. Only go on once in the morning and once at night. Don’t “Google” everything that you don’t know, try to find another source (non Internet based) for your answers. The hardest one… don’t use spell check.

Edmund Burke said that change, even the smallest of change, even if for the good of society as a whole, would tear the fabric of society in a way that man could not prepare for. Although this is an extreme view, lets look very briefly at an example of this.

Before the Internet families would often watch cable TV together…
Before cable one would have a small selection of maybe 10 stations…
Before 10 stations there were 3, and families would all gather together to watch Jacky Gleeson and The Cleavers…
Before that was Radio, again it was a much more intimate time to gather as a family…
Before that was the News Paper and Books…
Family’s would read together and be much closer.

Just something to think about.

5 comments:

  1. Communication has changed....texting or emails seem to have replaced verbal, face to face conversations......and not for our good. People that have a tendency to avoid confrontation, now have a easy way out and don't have to work on that social skill. Life wasn't in general simpler back then but less stressful and technology hasn't made life easier...it has just made us more dependent upon it. We were created to be dependent on God and all this other stuff can be a detour/distraction if we do not keep ourselves in check. It seems you have to be more disciplined than ever now.....like you were saying about giving up FB for a while because you were on it so much (the "update" drug) I find that while I am on Biblegateway reading scripture I am constantly fighting with concentrating and focusing on what I am reading vrs. reading that email that just came in or hoping over on FB for a quick fix. I enjoyed your blog Justin....you made some excellent points. Looking forward to more of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we discuss the impact technology has had on our language? I become increasingly dismayed with all of the grammatical errors, misspellings and outright bastardization of the English language that occurs daily on social media sites, text messages, emails and even in oral communication. I understand that language evolves as do societies but, the deterioration that has materialized in the last 5 years is staggering to me; even in business settings.

    Does anyone else draw a direct correlation to the increased rate of being "plugged in" to the decline of our language? I find myself wanting to shout "For God's sake man, step away from the (insert electronic device here) and pick up something with the printed word!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Lianne, you should pick up the book "The Dumbest Generation". I'll admit that I have trouble with grammar and spelling. However, I am proactive in continually educating myself. Sadly the younger generations don't see the same value in education.

      Delete
    2. Interesting point on language. Social Media will likely have a huge affect on words, grammar, and punctuation. Language has always evolved, and Social Media is likely to increase the speed of that evolution. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (though I agree poor grammar is very irritating). Grammer was made for communication, not communication for grammer. It will be interesting to see what happens.

      Delete