Monday, August 27, 2012

Beyond the Party Lines



I recently posted a picture of Ronald Reagan on my Facebook page. A comment was made under it reading, “That was the first president I ever voted for”. My reply was, “I didn’t know you were a Republican”. I thought to my self what party do I most side with?

At some point in our lives we as people align ourselves with a particular political party. In some cases it may simply be because of ones socioeconomic status. Others contributing factors may be the influence of elders. However, the most puzzling of all is when one votes simply because of the allegiance to the party. I am shocked when I hear people state with proud confidence that they only vote either Republican or Democrat.

Such an act when in the voting booth shows sheer ignorance. I speak the truth about this matter because I my self was once totally ignorant. Political Parties in today’s sense are much more blurred. It is our civic duty to educate ourselves about whom we elect to run our nation.

Please do not mistake theses statements to be iconoclastically against the Democrats or Republicans. There are very few policies that are idiosyncratic to just one political party. Before you vote know the real issues that are at the core of the representative. Look past all the ostentatious games that are so commonly involved in politics and see it for what it is, a flawed system run by flawed men.

2 comments:

  1. your remark "It is our civic duty to educate ourselves about whom we elect to run our nation" is bullseye...we blame every elected official on everything that goes wrong....but who put them in office???? We the voters!!! so you are right on the mark to say that we need to educate ourselves on whom we elect. Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Ronald Reagan said, "Freedom is one generation away from extinction".

    ReplyDelete